Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Katie's Dungeon

In my desperate attempt to regain control of my home, I decided to attempt to tackle Katie's dungeon first in order to return it to it's once castle-like appearance. One thing that struck me immediately is that she has WAY TOO MUCH STUFF! She has enough toys for about 10 little girls, but they just keep accumulating. I actually have a bagful of toys that she hasn't opened yet and has forgotten about. My first job is to dig through the pile of toys to see what she has outgrown or no longer plays with. These go in boxes for the garage sale that we will be having soon. Next, I need to cut back on the amount of toys she still plays with. Yes, little girls love tea parties and playing with their kitchen sets but I don't think it's necessary to have two extra large bins stuffed full of play dishes and play food. One medium or even a small bin would be sufficient.



Next come the clothes. Since the seasons are changing, this is a necessary evil that all parents must deal with. I must go through hand-me-downs to see what fits her for the coming season. What still fits that I should hold onto for next fall? What do I try to sell in the upcoming garage sale? What do I give to Goodwill? What do I pitch?



After the clothes are dealt with, I will have to do some heavy organizing of the toys. I think I'll have an area with the more schoolish toys. These probably won't be in her room because that's how pieces go missing and how I get upset and lose my temper. These will probably go in the school bins. This includes opposites cards, ABC and shapes/colors flashcards, lacing cards, read-aloud books, phonics games, etc. Then I'll organize her little toys as well as possible. She does love the little stuff like My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, Barbie, Polly Pockets, etc. All of these are small with even smaller accessories. Since she doesn't care about playing with only one set of toys at a time, I probably won't worry too much about the mixing of such toys. As long as she can pick them up without being overwhelmed and her room can look peaceful, Momma and Katie can both be happy.



Finally I will want to give her room a good cleaning. Everything needs wiped down really well. Furniture needs to be moved to clean it. Windows need washed, floors cleaned, and the list goes on and on. I want to be finished by the end of this week. I then need to move on to the next dungeon. Sprinkle a little fairy dust and wish me luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

**sprinkle, sprinkle**

Wishing you all the best ~ I'm so excited for you!!
~Lori