Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Food...Ugh!

I have a love/hate relationship with food. I love to eat it and I hate to prepare it. It's not so much that I hate the prep. I think I really lack the proper skills of preparation. I don't know how to make a menu. I don't know how to make a grocery list. I don't have recipes that suit my family well. So now I am on a quest to gain the recipes and the knowledge to do these things better.

Breakfast and lunch are pretty much a no-brainer around here. I'm not the kind of mom who must make everything by scratch. I don't mind boxed mac'n'cheese. I just prefer that there be a decent amount of fruits and vegetables on the table. Here's a sample of breakfast for the week:

Sunday~donuts (quick and easy for Church)
Monday~scrambled eggs with bacon and toast
Tuesday~oatmeal with fruit
Wednesday~cereal and milk
Thursday~french toast with sausage
Friday~oatmeal with fruit
Saturday~cereal with milk

Here's a sample of lunch for a week:

Sunday~mac'n'cheese with garlic cauliflower
Monday~veggie soup with baked potato
Tuesday~grilled cheese with tomato soup
Wednesday~fajita chicken wraps with salsa corn
Thursday~tuna salad on top of greens
Friday~homemade turkey and veggie pizza
Saturday~out to lunch with daddy

Snacks range from fruit, yogurt, chips, veggies and dip, etc. I would like to have a menu that I can follow on a regular basis. As of now, I just make whatever we have in the pantry. Dinner is going to be my biggest problem. This is what I need for a successful dinner:
~Healthy
~Cooked in 1 hour or less
~Not too difficult to make
~Vegetables separate since Ken doesn't eat veggies
~Inexpensive

I know there aren't many people reading my blog yet since my old blog has been made new again, but I'm up for ideas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, well, when you're here, take a look through my recipes. There's bound to be *something* that will fit your requirements. And we go back n forth - sometimes, it's a super healthy meal. Sometimes it's a family favorite that's not too healthy. If I can keep breakfast and lunch healthy, if I can get some fresh veggies on the table, then I'm less concerned about how "healthy" the main entree is for dinner.

Anyways, meal planning is a HUGE help around here. It *does* take a bit of time, to figure out what to make, what items we already have in the pantry, what items we need to buy, etc.etc.etc.....

The best thing for me is simply having that sheet of paper telling me what's for dinner. Like you said, breakfast & lunch are no problem - I just make whatever we have around, whatever I have the time for, easy things. But for dinners, later in the day, it's easier to go: ok, Monday. The calendar says Speghetti Pie - there ya go. Get out the ingredients and go.

Did I mention how excited I am for you to be doing all this stuff?? No, our homes will never look the same, run the same, etc. nor would I want them to. But it's still cool to hear you talk about meal planning and organizing and cleaning....ahhh....

(not that you didn't clean before...duh....but you never really discussed your organization plans - you know - the stuff I find so interesting!!)

~Luv ya~
Lori