Thursday, July 17, 2008

Boys Being Boys

That is just a statement...not an excuse. Boys are rough. Boys think they're tough. Well, I had my first run in with the boys in the neighborhood being less than polite. Nathan told me that his good friend wanted to beat him up. This didn't sound like him at all. His friend is quiet and polite. Earlier today, Nathan tells me that three of his friends are punching him.

Okay, time for Mom to step in. I walk down the street and see the boys. They see me and begin to run. I yell, "You three come over here or I'll speak with all of your parents." They turn around and come over to me. One of the older sisters comes over too. I choose to speak to her, knowing that I'll get a better look at what really happened. Of course, I find out that Nathan was not innocent in all of this. (Big surprise.)

Basically, Nathan accidentally hit his friend in the eye. I truly believe that it was an accident because Nathan doesn't get physical with his friends. This said friend then threatens to beat up Nathan. Nathan does climb on the back of another friend and now they are all fighting. I asked Nathan to apologize for his behavior. He did, and one of his friends said it was okay right away. Another kid was reluctant to accept his apology. I'm not surprised by this kid.

So there are four prepubescent boys trying to beat up on each other. I hate being the mean mom that steps in, but I could see that they were not working it out on their own. This was just one more way that reminds me that I'm the adult. I know my mom finds that hilarious, but sometimes I still don't feel like the adult. I hope Nathan can make it through his childhood and teenage years without too many fist fights. Having only a sister, this is pretty new to me and I don't like it one bit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My usual response:

"Is anyone bleeding? No? Fine."

This may change as they all get older, we'll see...

Way to go, you adult, you~~
Lori