Monday, May 12, 2008

School Stuff

I bought a workbook recently to help children take the standardized test for 4th grade. I decided to pitch it. I hate it. Some of the things on their math section won't be taught until Nathan reaches pre-algebra. I actually looked these items up in the scope and sequence of his math program. This is when I learned them too. In fact, I had no clue what the answers were until I looked them up. Some of the words that the kids were expected to know were very difficult. I think vocabulary is important, but I also think Nate's vocabulary is fairly good for his age. He had a hard time with about half of the words.

This book just made me feel inferior and defeated. It also made me frustrated with Nathan for not "knowing it all." I don't want our homeschool to look like that. I know that Nathan is learning every day. This has been a rough year for us, but I don't think it has been a waste. In fact, Nathan has learned a lot this year. Here's a small list of what he's done or learned:

He's read numerous books; increasing his speed, ability, and vocabulary.


He's learned how to write in cursive, and it is improving all the time.


He memorized over 100 Bible verses.


He studied the lives of Moses, Jesus, Jacob and his 12 sons, and Noah in depth.


He learned about ancient history, going all the way back to creation.


He learned about rocks, plants, weather, and animals during science.


His spelling has improved over the school year.


He enjoyed snuggling with me while listening to a good book.


He's become a better brother while caring for his sister.


He's become a better son when I needed taken care of.


He's grown both physically and emotionally.

I'm proud of my soon to be fifth grader. We will continue on through the summer to help "catch up," but I really believe that we are just where we should be. I already told Nathan that next year will be much more tough. He will be using a strict textbook type method of homeschooling (Rod & Staff). I think he is ready for the extra load. I think he is more mature and capable of handling increased writing along with independent work. He was excited to hear about the challenge of next year, although slightly intimidated. I pray that I am continually following the Lord's lead in our homeschool.

No comments: